Smoke Alarm Legislation QLD
Smoke alarms can be the difference between life and death in a fire situation. However, smoke alarms can only save lives if they are well maintained and working properly. That is why the Queensland Government’s new smoke alarm legislation is so important. The legislation indicates not only the type of smoke alarms that must be used but also where these are positioned and how they are connected. These factors are important as they can be the difference between an early warning and quick escape during a fire or it being too late. Firstly, smoke alarms with a manufacturing date exceeding 10 years, which you should be able to find stamped on the back of the alarm, must be replaced with an Australian Standard compliant photoelectric smoke alarm. Photoelectric smoke alarms detect visible particles of combustion, meaning that they see smoke and alert you early, allowing for a quick escape. There are many other advantages aside from the obvious safety aspect to these types of alarms including
● Most effective for the smoldering stage of the fire so they give you earlier warning.
● Not as prone to cooking nuisance alarms
● Contain no radioactive material
● Suitable for general use.
The legislation also requires that smoke alarms be hard-wired to the 240v power supply or powered by a non-removable 10-year battery. In our busy lives, it is so easy to forget to change the batteries of our smoke alarms, so this new requirement will ensure that your alarm will be connected to a power source and always keeping you safe.
The placement of your smoke alarms is also a vital factor in the protection of you and your family. The legislation specifies that alarms should be placed in
● Every bedroom
● In hallways that connect bedrooms and the rest of the home
● Between Bedrooms and other parts of the storey if there are no hallways
● At least one smoke alarm must be installed in the path of the most likely exit if there are no bedrooms in the dwelling.
The Queensland government’s new smoke alarm legislation means that your house will have optimal fire safety and is important as it ensures the safety of you and your loved ones during the event of a fire.